The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA)
- We are excited to announce that Chinese American Parent Association of Howard County (CAPA-HC) is now a PVSA certifying organization. As a certifying organization, CAPA-HC is authorized to issue PVSA award to volunteers who meet certain volunteer services.
What is the PVSA?
In 2003, the President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation founded the President’s Volunteer Service Award to recognize the important role of volunteers in America’s strength and national identity. This award honors individuals whose service positively impacts communities in every corner of the nation and inspires those around them to take action too.
Led by the Corporation for National and Community Service and managed in partnership with Points of Light, this program allows Certifying Organizations to recognize their most exceptional volunteers.
Volunteer Eligibility :
- United States citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States (i.e., green card holder)
- Must be at least five years old
- Completes eligible service within a 12-month period (for annual Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards) and over a lifetime (for Lifetime Achievement Awards)
The Award only recognizes unpaid service hours, not financial or other in-kind contributions. Community service hours must be performed with one or more nonprofit organizations. Click here to find more details.
Volunteer hours are measured over a 12-month period and awards are designated based on cumulative hours. The awards are offered in multiple levels and are designed to recognize each milestone of your service achievement. Levels include bronze, silver, gold and the highest honor, the President’s Lifetime Achievement Award for those who contribute more than 4,000 hours of service in their lifetime.
Hours Required to Earn Awards in Each Age Group
|Kids (5–10 years old)
|Young Adults (16–25)
1. What are the benefits of receiving the award?
This nationally renowned award can be used in any application/interview/career situation.
2. What is included with the Award?
Award recipients can receive an official PVSA pin, personalized certificate of achievement, and a congratulatory letter from the president of the United States.
3. What is CAPA-HC’s 12 months service time period?
Annually April 15th to April 14th of the following year. All the service hours which are used to apply for the award must be completed in this time period.
4. How do I apply for the 2023-2024 award through CAPA-HC?
Step 1: Download and print a service log file.
Read Service Hours Guidelines to help you determine what service hours count and what not.
Step 2: Record and maintain the service log according to the rules listed on the log file. Service time frame: 4/15/2023-4/14/2024.
Step 3: Fill out the online application form and submit the service log through the online form by 5/5/2024. To ensure the integrity of the PVSA awards, CAPA-HC has the discretion to decide if the hours submitted by applicants are eligible to count toward the award. For questions about the award criteria, contact us at email@example.com.
5. What will happen, if the age group changes in the 12- month time period?
The age category is determined by the age the person was for at least 7 months within the calendar year.
6. I received a PVSA last year. Can I apply again?
Yes. You can apply every year if you meet the qualifications and submit the application by the deadline.
7. Do I have to get all the volunteer hours from CAPA?
No, but at least 15% of your volunteer hours are from CAPA. Hours may come from different service activities for different organizations/causes so long as the CAPA-HC is able to collect information necessary to certify eligible service hours.
An honoree may only be recognized by one Certifying Organization in a 12-month period. We recommend you apply the award through the Certifying Organization you have the most volunteer hours with.
8. Are there other requirements to apply for the PVSA through CAPA-HC?
You or your family must have CAPA paid membership.
If not, please register here.